Assignment 2: gis: implementation of a gis system
GIS projects typically comprise four major-cycle phases: business planning, system acquisition, system implementation, and operation and maintenance. The role of people and organization is vital to sustainable project management. Not all GIS projects are successful for many reasons, such as lack of executive-level commitment, inadequate oversight of key participants, poor data capture and maintenance, inability to demonstrate benefits, and a host of other technical and non-technical factors.
Write a four- to five-page paper that addresses each of the following:
- Identify two current business problems in any industry that require the use of a GIS system. Think from the customers’ perspective and identify and explain the key business challenges from the two examples chosen. Use examples from specific, real-world businesses. Provide the URLs for the company websites of these businesses in your references.
- Now that you have identified two key business problems, describe how to choose a GIS system to meet the needs of the business you described above.
- In addition to your logic and justification for your selection process, draw a block diagram of the process and life cycle stages of a typical GIS system.
- Every implementation has risks, and not all risks can be anticipated. Based on the business problems and your chosen GIS system, identify three to four key risks and their potential impact to your implementation. Impact can be documented in terms of revenue loss (or cost) to the business, schedule delays, loss of data, etc.
- During your implementation of the GIS system you may have to deal with many manifestations of the law such as copyright and intellectual property rights (IPR), competition law, data protection, and liability issues. Identify two potential challenges associated with these legal issues and explain the steps you would take to minimize their impact.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course is designed to prepare you for a career in IT. While most Strayer University courses require the APA (essay) format, this course focuses on writing in a business proposal format.
- Cite your references using APA or another format accepted by your instructor. Check with your instructor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Apply the concepts of GIS to organizations, government, and everyday life.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in GIS.
- Write clearly and concisely about GIS topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
How it Works
It only takes a couple of minutes to fill in your details, select the type of paper you need (essay, term paper, etc.), give us all necessary information regarding your assignment.
Once we receive your request, one of our customer support representatives will contact you within 24 hours with more specific information about how much it'll cost for this particular project.
After receiving payment confirmation via PayPal or credit card – we begin working on your detailed outline, which is based on the requirements given by yourself upon ordering.
Once approved, your order is complete and will be emailed directly to the email address provided before payment was made!