Formatting of the Assignment (14 points): • Use an APA-formatted cover page. The title is Review and Critique of a [Qualitative or Quantitative] Research Investigation
Formatting of the Assignment (14 points):
• Use an APA-formatted cover page. The title is Review and Critique of a [Qualitative or Quantitative] Research Investigation (3). No Abstract page is necessary.
• Use correct grammar and other writing mechanics to enhance clarity of thought (6 points)
• One page of the paper should be the APA-formatted reference page (it goes before the appended critique sheet which is described below under Step 3) (3)
• The initial content of this assignment is an overview of the research study. It is divided by using the following IMRAD sub-headings: Introduction, Methods, Results and Discussion. Limit the paper to two-four content pages, SINGLE SPACED using bullets to answer questions below. Copy/paste the questions/points directly into your doc; bold them. Answers are UN-bolded. This section is followed by a reference page, which is then followed by the critique worksheet as an appended doc (2)
Introduction (8 points)
• What is the PROBLEM (NOT the topic or purpose) that is being addressed in this study? (2)
• Name two things that are important to know about this problem (4)
• QUOTE (in APA format) the research question/purpose/aims/objectives/hypothesis(es) (2)
Methods (22 points)
• If this is a quantitative study, is it observational or experimental in nature? (2)
• If stated in the report, name the specific design of the study (ex., correlational or ethnographic)
• What is the setting of the study? (Name the country, at minimum) (1)
• Describe the sample: Size (n= ), sampling method, attrition (if applicable) or response rate (if it’s a survey), main characteristics (ex., age, gender, etc.) that show that the sample is representative of the population (5)
• What did they do to assure that human rights were considered? (ex., IRB, consent, other…) (2)
• EXPLAIN CLEARLY/SUCCINCTLY HOW THEY CARRIED OUT THEIR STUDY-it is VERY important that you write this section in a way that will fully enable you to describe this investigation clearly to the class. It’s ok to use bullets. Note how much this answer is worth! (10 points)
• Note what type of data analysis was conducted (ex., “content analysis,” statistical analysis). Name the specific statistical tests used on the data, if appropriate (2)
Results (6 points)
• Restate the research question/purpose/aim/objective/hypothes(es)as an APA quotation.
• LINK ONLY THE RESULTS THAT ANSWER THE RESEARCH QUESTION HERE (6 points)
(explain themes in qualitative studies; limit actual stats results in quantitative studies)
Discussion (10 points)
• To what other evidence did the authors link their findings/evidence? (2)
• How did the authors interpret their findings; in other words, what conclusions did they draw? (4)
• What did authors say were the limitations of their investigation (make sure these show up on the critique sheet, below in step 3). (2)
• What are the nursing implications of this investigation (for practice and/or future research)? (2)
Step 3: Critically Analyze the Research Investigation (40 points)
After reviewing the research report for a basic understanding of how the study was carried out, you will next critically analyze the study itself to determine its potential usefulness to inform nursing practice. As part of this analysis, you need to determine the quality/rigor of the investigation. You can do this by answering some key questions about the integrity with which they sampled participants, measured variables, etc. The appropriate critique form itself will be attached to your review (described in Step 2) as an appendix. For example, you will submit a paper comprised of both your review and your critique of a qualitative study first.
Under the course shell “doc sharing” space, download the following documents:
Critique Worksheet_Qualitative (40 points)
Critique Worksheet_Quantitative (40 points)
Critique of a PRIMARY/ORIGINAL single research study: QUALITATIVE* Name_______________________________________
APA formatted Citation:
Critical Appraisal Questions Yes No Supporting Info/Comments/Misc
(This section must have exemplar info here!)
Was this study published in a source that required peer review?
Were the authors properly credentialed to conduct research? Don’t include names!
Was this study one of several common QUALitative designs? Note the design:
Did the researchers make clear why this study was necessary?
Is the phenomenon under investigation focused on a human experience within a natural setting?
Were ethical considerations addressed? (IRB, consent, etc)
Was the way the study was carried out consistent with basic qualitative methods r/t:
• sampling (size, method, representativeness)
• data collection ( low-structured)
• data analysis? (content, theoretical, etc)
Was “data saturation” reached?
Was the sampling of observations (like interviews) appropriate and varied/diverse enough to serve the purpose of the study/to answer the study question(s)?
Was the data presented in ways that provide a vivid portrayal of what was experienced or happened and its context? For example,
were specific pieces of data (e.g., direct quotes) and more generalized statements (themes, theories) included in the report?
Was data analyzed in a formal way that coincided with the data collection process? (ex., content or theoretical analysis or….)
Were there indications that other methods were used to establish the trustworthiness/credibility of the findings? For example:
• Did other professionals confirm the researcher’s interpretations?
• Were these other methods used:
o Member checking
o Field notes
o Audit trailing
o Code-recode strategies
o Analysis of “negative” cases
o Trained and unbiased data collectors
o Data saturation
o Unbiased questions during observations……
Did the data/findings seem to justify the final interpretations (such as concepts, themes or theory?). If they created a theory, name it here.
Could the findings be linked to other related evidence that the researchers provided in the initial or in a later lit review?
Were the final perspectives/interpretations useful in providing insight, support or guidance for practice?
Was this a qualitative study of good quality/rigor?
(Note: If most of your answers were yes, then check yes. If less than a third of your answers were yes, check no.)
*Adapted, in part, from Text Appendix E; see exemplar of a qualitative study in the textbook which includes a critical appraisal. Revised July2017_Dr. MAC
Note that each critique form is set up with yes/no columns. If you answer “yes” to most of the questions (>75%), the study is likely to be of high quality/rigor. That’s because those are considered “strengths” of the investigation. In contrast, the “no” answers are limitations.” N/A means “not applicable.”
Complete the form for the relevant research report by typing in your answers. Include supporting information. You may change spacing, etc. to the document to accommodate text as needed.
Append this worksheet to your review. Note that you will be submitting a qualitative AND quantitative review & critique at two different times during the course as relevant content and practice has been covered.
This assignment is based on your own words
This assignment is to be uploaded to the course shell drop box on or before the announced due date/time. Recall that there is a 10% penalty for late submissions, in fairness to all. If you cannot upload the doc, send it to the instructor via email to validate a submission date/time
How it Works
It only takes a couple of minutes to fill in your details, select the type of paper you need (essay, term paper, etc.), give us all necessary information regarding your assignment.
Once we receive your request, one of our customer support representatives will contact you within 24 hours with more specific information about how much it'll cost for this particular project.
After receiving payment confirmation via PayPal or credit card – we begin working on your detailed outline, which is based on the requirements given by yourself upon ordering.
Once approved, your order is complete and will be emailed directly to the email address provided before payment was made!