Soc 100 week 3 field study observation
Part I – Participant Observation
Sociologists use research to collect information about society and apply their findings to everyday life to better understand the human condition. Sociologists can investigate people in their natural environments by becoming part of their everyday settings to observe and study participants.
Imagine that you are a practicing sociologist who is researching the behavior of social groups in social settings.
Conduct a participant observation of a group of people on a television program or social media network such as facebook.
Station yourself to observe participants for 30 minutes of a television program or a day’s worth of interaction in a social media network such as twitter or facebook without interacting with any of the participants.
Use the Field Study Observation Template to collect field notes on the following data about the individuals in your observation, as you perceive it:
(Your numbers do not need to be exact, but try to make them as accurate as possible. You do not need to submit these notes with your assignment—they are only for you to reference to guide your observation.)
Part II – Reflection Report
Write a 525- to 700-word report about your observation. Include the following information:
- Describe the setting for your observation, including the location, time of day (morning, midday, afternoon, evening), and weather.
2) Group Dynamics
- What patterns of group behavior did you observe that may have been influenced by the setting?
- What patterns of group behavior did you observe based on gender/sex?
- What patterns of group behavior did you observe based on race/ethnicity?
- What patterns of group behavior did you observe based on age?
- Which cultural norms did you observe among your participants? Explain your answer in several sentences using at least one example.
- What did you observe overall about the group dynamics of your participants? Explain your answer in several sentences using at least one example.
- What social or economic factors might have influenced the group dynamics you observed? Explain your answer in several sentences.
3) Real-World Applications
- Consider how you could use a participant observation exercise in the future to study patterns in other social groups, such as with families, coworkers, or other organizations.
- Explain how observing social patterns could help your interactions in a group. Give at least one reason why improving your understanding of group dynamics can help you to succeed in culturally diverse environments.
How it Works
It only takes a couple of minutes to fill in your details, select the type of paper you need (essay, term paper, etc.), give us all necessary information regarding your assignment.
Once we receive your request, one of our customer support representatives will contact you within 24 hours with more specific information about how much it'll cost for this particular project.
After receiving payment confirmation via PayPal or credit card – we begin working on your detailed outline, which is based on the requirements given by yourself upon ordering.
Once approved, your order is complete and will be emailed directly to the email address provided before payment was made!