Written assignment 4: chemical reactions
Written Assignment 4: Chemical Reactions
Answer all assigned questions and problems, and show all work.
1. Write the (a) balanced equation for the formation of liquid water from hydrogen and oxygen gas, and use it to explain the following terms: (b) chemical reaction, (c) reactant, (d) product. (12 points)
2. Balance the following equations: (18 points)
- 2C + O2 → 2CO
- 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
- 2Na + 2H2O → H2 + 2NaOH
- Zn + 2HCl → ZnCl2 + H2
- 2NaOH + H2SO4 → 2H2O + Na2SO4
- 2NH3 + 3CuO → 3Cu + N2 + 3H2O
3. Calculate the mass in grams of iodine (I2) that will react completely with 20.4 g of aluminum (Al) to form aluminum iodide (AlI3). (5 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.47)
4. The annual production of sulfur dioxide from burning coal and fossil fuels, auto exhaust, and other sources is about 26 million tons. The equation for the reaction is
S(s) + O2 (g) → SO2 (g)
How much sulfur (in tons), present in the original materials, would result in that quantity of SO2? (5 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.69)
5. Each copper (II) sulfate unit is associated with five water molecules in crystalline copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate (CuSO4 ⋅ 5H2O). When this compound is heated in air above 100oC, it loses the water molecules are also its blue color:
CuSO4 ⋅ 5H2O → CuSO4 + 5H2O
If 9.60 g of CuSO4 are left after heating 15.01 g of the blue compound, calculate the number of moles of water originally present in the compound. (5 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.73)
6. The fertilizer ammonium sulfate [(NH4)2SO4] is prepared by the reaction between ammonia (NH3) and sulfuric acid:
2 NH3(g) + H2SO4(aq) → (NH4)2SO4(aq)
How many kilograms of NH3 are needed to produce 1.00 × 105 kg of (NH4)2SO4?
(Reference: Chang 3.77
7. Nitric acid (NO) reacts with oxygen gas to form nitrogen dioxide (NO2), a dark brown gas:
2NO(g) + O2(g) → 2NO2(g)
In one experiment 0.886 mole of NO is mixed with 0.503 mol of O2.
- Calculate which of the two reactants the limiting reagent is. (5 points)
- Calculate also the number of moles of NO2 produced. (5 points)
- What reactant is left over and how much of it is left over? (5 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.83)
8. Propane (C3H8) is a component of natural gas and is used in domestic cooking and heating. It burns according to the following reaction:
C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O
- Balance the equation representing the combustion of propane in air. (5 points)
- How many grams of carbon dioxide can be produced by burning 20.0 pounds of propane, the typical size of a BBG grill propane tank? Assume that oxygen is the excess reagent in this reaction. (5 points)
9. Hydrogen fluoride is used in the manufacture of Freons (which destroy ozone in the stratosphere) and in the production of aluminum metal. It is prepared by the reaction
CaF2 + H2SO4 → CaSO4 + 2HF
In one process 6.00 kg of CaF2 are treated with an excess of H2SO4 and yield 2.86 kg of HF. Calculate the percent yield of HF. (5 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.89)
10. Certain race cars use methanol (CH3OH; also called wood alcohol) as a fuel. Methanol has a molecular mass of 32.0 g/mol and a density of 0.79 g/mL. The combustion of methanol occurs according to the following equation:
2CH3OH + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 4H2O
In a particular reaction 2.00 L of methanol are reacted with 80.0 kg of oxygen.
- What is the limiting reactant? (5 points)
- What reactant and how many grams of it are left over? (5 points)
- How many grams of carbon dioxide is produced? (5 points)
11. An iron bar weighed 664 g. After the bar had been standing in moist air for a month, exactly one-eighth of the iron turned to rust (Fe2O3). Calculate the final mass of the iron bar and rust. (5 points)
(Reference: Chang 3.111)
How it Works
It only takes a couple of minutes to fill in your details, select the type of paper you need (essay, term paper, etc.), give us all necessary information regarding your assignment.
Once we receive your request, one of our customer support representatives will contact you within 24 hours with more specific information about how much it'll cost for this particular project.
After receiving payment confirmation via PayPal or credit card – we begin working on your detailed outline, which is based on the requirements given by yourself upon ordering.
Once approved, your order is complete and will be emailed directly to the email address provided before payment was made!